Fifteen and counting…

So there we have it. Fifteen weeks of gruelling effort and the property looks like a neglected squat. But to be fair I look similar!

But all is not as it seems. The big steel move last week proved successful and the property is still standing. Before I sleep at night I have that song going around in my head…you know the one about the bones but mine is about the property.

“The steel’s connected to the studwork.
The studwork’s connected to the wall plate
The wall plate’s connnected to the purlins…”

It lulls me to sleep. Surely this is what its like for every apprentice builder?

This week has seen the final wall demolished, even more floor joists installed along with chipboard flooring, and studwork built to shore up the leaning wall and start to define the rooms.

I have become a nogging champion! That is a real word – and no I have not missed an ‘s’ off the beginning! Those days are behind me !

All of this work means that apart from the roof, that the demolition stage has been completed – ish! A corner of the lounge, with curtains still intact, is as it was but this is more for security than necessity.

So what has been learnt and what is to come?

I have a load more words in my vocabulary and I know what they mean. I can’t wait for the challenges I will get playing Xmas scrabble with my family with all this new found knowledge.

I have muscles in my arms where before their girth was more aligned to comfort. Not suggesting the chicken wings have gone. Perhaps a little more like chicken thighs! I also have teeny, tiny little muscles in my fingers!

I was hoping this enormous effort would lead to weight loss but it seems there is nothing in this work (or any work for that matter) that assists my lack of personal willpower where chocolate bars are concerned. Pah!

I have three new body piercings. Not through choice but because I have occasionally, inadvertently, nailed myself to the property. This is a very real blood, sweat and tears effort.

The blood and sweat is obvious. Andy and Neil reassure me they will try better to control the tears when we re-start the project in 2020.

We are taking a Xmas break. Rob the roofer starts in January and then we start putting the property back together properly. The external render will be started. I am meeting the electrician and heating engineer during the first week of the new year to book them in for first fix. I have confirmed the underfloor heating and will be reviewing production of the stairs, windows and installation of the flue for the log-burner. The list of things not confirmed is still very long. Insulation, venting, kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, lighting, doors and more.

It will take as long as it takes…but my caravan dwelling days are going to be limited in 2020 – not least because I have to return it to its owners!

Merry Xmas to all That There Builder Girl blog followers. See you in 2020 !

Where do I begin?

You’ve done a bit of property renovation before. How difficult can it be”?

~ My Mum

I should start with the truth so there is no confusion. I am not really a ‘Builder’ or a ‘Girl’. I am a marketer by trade and although I can handle a drill and a hammer (shelves are my specialty) I hardly fit the required job description of builder. I suppose I should say Apprentice Builder Girl …but it didn’t sound so good.

Secondly, my age really precludes me from being called a girl. I will admit to being older than 40 but that is all. However, given my apprentice status on this project I aim to continue with the ‘girl’ designation.

I have undertaken a little bit of renovation work in the past. When I say I…I actually mean I have engaged various trades to do the work. This is obviously not unusual. It is the norm for most. The hardest part of my historical work has been choosing tiles and room colours.

What I have never done though is take on a project of this size and duration and become part of the team whilst fulfilling the project management role.

I have never worked on a project that requires a six figure budget. I have never stripped a building from foundations to rood and have never turned a commercial property into a residential property.

So all good there then.

First the sad news. The project I am working on is a closed pub in South Somerset. The why and what happened is not for this blog. But it is sad that it had to close. Whilst the pub was open and when ‘well-supported’ it was a delightful little place and full of energy and conviviality. Alas being ‘well-supported’ was not a regular occurrence. We put in 10 years as did the previous owners who also struggled. Some villages care a lot about their amenities. Others don’t. C’est la vie.

The pub closed 10 July 2019 following a significant effort for planning permission that started in 2016. Planning was approved in October 2018 for Change of Use (COU) and on 3 September 2019 the work will commence to turn the old village pub into a good sized 4-bedroom house.

The carpark, sited opposite the pub, has also received outline planning permission. Nothing to report on this yet but there is hope for 1 or perhaps 2 houses to be built from scratch.

This blog is the story of the redevelopment journey through my eyes. The highs, the lows. The surprises and the lessons to be learnt.

I am anticipating learning a lot – not least the process required to turn a commercial property into a residential property.

I am committed to seeing this through. I have re-mortgaged to get the money for the development. Ceased my work as a marketing consultant….and de-camped Monday through Friday to the village so I can be there to manage and help with the project.

Wish me luck !